ABOUT PLOWDEN & SMITH | CAREERS
Take your career in the fine art restoration sector to the next level with Plowden & Smith
Founded in London in 1966, Plowden & Smith is a leading fine art conservation and furniture restoration company. Operating out of new purpose-built premises in Mitcham, our team of experienced, skilled restorers work on an extensive range of materials. All treatments are guided by contemporary ethical considerations and underpinned by industry-recognised standards of best practice. Plowden & Smith is committed to supporting employees with their continued professional development and training.
We advertise current vacancies on our website, however we are always interested in hearing from talented professionals at all stages of their careers. Please send CVs to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will be in touch should a suitable vacancy arise.
Senior Stone Conservator
Now is an exciting time to join Plowden & Smith and contribute to the future of our company. We are looking for an experienced and enthusiastic Senior Stone Conservator, responsible for overseeing the day-to-day running of the stone conservation studio.
• Producing estimates, condition assessments, treatment methodologies and treatment reports
• The work includes many types of objects; collections, buildings, and environments such as fine art and museum objects, architecture-bound stone, public sculpture and stone in church environments.
• Undertaking complex treatments to the highest level
• Working on site, often outdoors and at height
• Undertaking both surface and structural treatments including but not limited to – surface cleaning, stain reduction (poulticing), consolidation, repairs/dowelling, infilling, retouching.
• Mounting and stabilising objects. E.g. manufacturing custom resin pads, mounting objects to 2D supports.
• Supporting and mentoring junior staff members, supervising their work to ensure it is completed on time and to standard
• Keeping stock of studio materials and pre-empting upcoming project requirements and ensuring these are ordered on time
• Liaising with the Conservation Manager and Client Services to ensure the smooth running of department workload
• The ability to communicate complex conservation treatments to clients and stakeholders.
• Provide advice on preventive conservation measures for stone and related materials
• You will have a degree in Conservation and a minimum of ten years’ post qualification experience specialising in stone and stone related materials
• Experience with contemporary art
• Experience with but not limited to, marble, alabaster, limestone, granite, basalt, sandstone, slate, lime techniques, concrete, plaster etc.
• Reports are a vital part of this role. A clear, concise, technical writing style and excellent IT literacy. Knowledge and application of Microsoft suite and digital mark ups are necessary.
• Treatments are carried out both in the studio and in situ, requiring the willingness and ability to travel nationally and internationally as and when required
• You will be a personable and effective team worker with excellent communication skills
• As a supervising senior staff member, you will be confidant in making decisions with high value artworks whilst maintaining exceptional ethical standards in your approach to all tasks
• Working at height qualifications: PASMA and MEWP training or the willingness to be trained are required.
• Professional accreditation (ICON ACR), or willingness to obtain it (financial support provided)
• Experience working in private practice is desirable as you will be required to work under your own initiative and effectively manage your workflow to meet deadlines in a fast-paced commercial environment
• Knowledge of the condition reporting application ‘Articheck’
• Driving licence
• CSCS card holder (or willingness to obtain)
This is a permanent position, 5 days per week, offering a salary of up to £39, 375 per annum (dependant on experience).
March 2023 start date.
For further information or to apply for this position please submit a c.v., a digital portfolio and a condition report example to the Conservation Manager:
We are seeking an experienced furniture restorer / conservator to join our busy furniture restoration department.
We are particularly interested in hearing from conservators with suitable post-qualification practical experience restoring a wide range of furniture items, including traditional and modern pieces.
Excellent knowledge and skills in antique and contemporary cabinet work, finishing and polishing are desirable; however, we would offer ongoing career development for someone who is keen and willing to up-skill. Some joinery skills and a driving licence would be useful.
Job Type: Full Time
Location: Mitcham, CR4 4NY
Salary: To be discussed dependant on experience.
If you are interested in this role, we would love to hear from you. Please send a CV and covering letter to email@example.com
Why work for Plowden & Smith?
- Work with some of the world’s most rare, beautiful and interesting artworks and artefacts, as well as national and international collections
- Work in a stimulating, creative environment
- Free entry to museums and exhibitions being held in the UK and around the world
- Opportunities throughout the year to attend preview nights and private view events
- Personal Continued Professional Development fund
- Child Care Voucher Scheme
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Hybrid Working
About Plowden & Smith
Founded in London in 1966, Plowden & Smith is a leading fine art and furniture conservation and restoration company.
In December 2018 we moved to purpose-built premises in Mitcham where our team of experienced and skilled conservators and restorers work on an extensive range of materials. All our object treatments are informed by science, guided by contemporary ethical considerations and underpinned by industry-recognised standards of best practice. Staff are committed to continued professional development and training.