ABOUT PLOWDEN & SMITH | CAREERS
Take your career in the art and heritage sector to the next level with Plowden & Smith
Founded in London in 1966, Plowden & Smith is the largest fine, decorative and contemporary art and object conservation and restoration company in the UK. Operating out of new purpose-built premises in Mitcham, our team of experienced and skilled conservators and restorers work on an extensive range of materials. All object treatments are informed by science and the art of conservation, guided by contemporary ethical considerations and underpinned by industry-recognised standards of best practice. Plowden & Smith is committed to supporting employees with their continued professional development and training.
We advertise current vacancies on our website, however we are always interested in hearing from talented professionals at all stages of their careers. Please send CVs to email@example.com. We will be in touch should a suitable vacancy arise.
Senior Paper Conservator
Now is an exciting time to join Plowden & Smith and contribute to the future of our company. We are looking for an experienced and dynamic Senior Paper Conservator, responsible for overseeing the day-to-day running of the Paper Conservation studio. Responsibilities include:
• Producing estimates, condition assessments, treatment methodologies and treatment reports
• Undertaking complex treatments of both historic and modern works on paper and paper-based ephemera focused on fine art, and ranging from those executed on traditional substrates to varied modern materials and techniques
• Undertaking both structural and surface treatments including but not limited to – repair of tears, surface cleaning, flattening, stain reduction, adhesive and tape removal, washing, lining, consolidation, infilling, retouching, hinging and mounting, framing
• Supporting and mentoring interns, supervising their work to ensure it is completed on time and to standard
• Keeping stock of studio materials and pre-empting upcoming project requirements and ensuring these are ordered on time
• Liaising with the Conservation Manager and Client Services to ensure the smooth running of department workload
• The ability to communicate complex conservation treatments to clients and stakeholders
• You will have a degree in Conservation and a minimum of ten years’ post qualification experience specialising in paper conservation
• Reports are a vital part of this role. A clear, concise writing style and good working knowledge of Microsoft Word is essential
• Treatments are carried out both in the studio and in situ, requiring the willingness and ability to travel nationally and internationally as and when required
• You will be a personable and effective team worker with excellent communication skills
• As a supervising senior staff member, you will be confidant in making decisions with high value artworks whilst maintaining exceptional ethical standards in your approach to all tasks
• Experience working in private practice is desirable as you will be required to work under your own initiative and effectively manage your workflow to meet deadlines in a fast-paced commercial environment
• Experience with contemporary art
• Professional accreditation, or willingness to obtain it (financial support provided)
• A working knowledge of conservation gels
• Knowledge of the condition reporting application ‘Articheck’
• Driving licence
This is a permanent, part-time position, 3 days per week, offering a salary of £37, 500 per annum (pro rata £22,500).
For further information or to apply for this position please submit a c.v. and an expression of interest, to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will provide a job description and selection criteria for you to address in your application. Interviews to be arranged over the coming weeks with a mid-November start for the successful candidate.
Why work for Plowden & Smith?
- Work with some of the world’s most rare, beautiful and interesting artworks and artefacts, as well as national and international collections
- Work in a stimulating, creative environment
- Free entry to museums and exhibitions being held in the UK and around the world
- Opportunities throughout the year to attend preview nights and private view events
- Personal Continued Professional Development fund
- Child Care Voucher Scheme
- Cycle to Work Scheme
About Plowden & Smith
Founded in London in 1966, Plowden & Smith is the largest fine, decorative and contemporary art and object conservation and restoration company in the UK.
In December 2018 we moved to purpose-built premises in Mitcham where our team of experienced and skilled conservators and restorers work on an extensive range of materials. All our object treatments are informed by science, guided by contemporary ethical considerations and underpinned by industry-recognised standards of best practice. Staff are committed to continued professional development and training.